Saturday, October 28, 2006

Autumn

It's been a quite a busy week especially with it being half term. I only worked two days this week and it worked really well as John had Monday and Tuesday off work and I had Wednesday off and don't work Thursday and Friday's anyway. So Ethan has had great week with us both and has been to sift play areas, to the park, helping John in the shed etc.

I've enjoyed making some winter soups this, I just love homemade soups. I found a recipe for Butternut Squash soup on Morgan's blog so thought I'd give it a go as I've not had that before. It was lovely and as I had some butternut squash left over I did another soup the following day but added sweet potato, carrots and parsnips. It was delicious and I'll definitely be doing it again.

I also made some spiced apple cider which I always have when I go to America. I have never found anything as good over here so found a recipe and changed it around a little. I love it and it leaves just a lovely smell around the house - very American.

Spiced apple cider recipe

1 1/2 pints apple juice
3/4 pints water
60ml honey
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp ground mixed spiced
6 whole cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
125ml lemon juice
1/2 orange sliced

Mix together the apple juice, water, honey and all the spices and bring to the boil then simmer for around 30 minutes. Leave to stand over night and then strain. Add the lemon juice and orange slices to the drink and reheat - do not boil. I just reheated it as I wanted it.

I'm just about to make some more now as it's all gone - Ethan really likes it. I will only leave it to stand till this evening though as I can't wait for the morning!

I went out last night to a local pub with a few friends, had quite a lot to drink but had a good night. My friends got up and did karoke but I didn't - I just can't sing and refuse to embarrass myself, especially as I saw quite a few people that Have known me since I was a baby!!!

John also bought, me home 4 big bags of Bonfire Toffee this week, I haven't been able to find it anywhere local and a friend at John's work managed to get us some. It's not a great photo but I just love this stuff.

1 comment:

Joanne Bain said...

Hi Lisa
It sounds like you had a great time at the pub. I would not be caught dead doing Karaoke either.
Have a great day
Joanne